New Resident Title 

You may be considered a resident of Florida when you:

  • Have started employment or engaged in a trade, profession, or occupation in this state.
  • Have enrolled your children in the public schools of this state.
  • Have registered to vote in this state.
  • Have filed for homestead tax exemption on property in this state.
  • Have lived in this state for a period of more than six consecutive months.


As a new Florida resident, you must obtain a valid Florida driver license within 30 days of establishing residency to drive on Florida roads.  In addition, you must obtain insurance from a Florida insurance agent that is licensed to sell insurance in Florida in order to title and register your vehicle(s), vessel(s), and mobile home(s) within 10 days of establishing residency.

For more information on documents required to obtain a Florida license, click here: Walton County Tax Collector - Required Documents 


For vehicles without a lien please provide the following documents:

  • Original out-of-state title 
  • If the title has been in your name less than 6 months, a bill of sale is required.
  • All applicants listed on the title must be present in our office. If an applicant is unable to come in, they may provide a completed Power of Attorney to the applicant visiting our office so they may sign their behalf. 
  • Proof of Florida insurance, if applying for a license plate.
  • U. S. Driver License, U.S. Identification card or valid passport for each owner.
  • Transfers involving Businesses, trusts, repossession, towing and storage, or deceased persons may require additional documentation
  • Vehicles titled out-of-state require a VIN inspection, which can be done at our office. If unable to drive the vehicle to our office, a VIN verification form can be completed by law enforcement or a Florida notary.
  • VIN verification is NOT required on the following:

    • New motor vehicles regardless of whether purchased in Florida or out of state
    • Mobile homes
    • Trailer-type recreational vehicles (camp trailers, truck campers, and travel trailers)
    • Trailers and semitrailers with a weight of less than 2,000 pounds


For vehicles with a lien:

The lienholder must be contacted to send the title to our office. You will need to provide us with your VIN number, lienholder name, and lienholder fax number. Once you provide our office with the required information, we will submit a written request to your lienholder for your title. If you would like to process without physically coming into the office, complete the form below and email it to the address listed. 

Lienholder Request Form  email:  [email protected]

While we provide service as a courtesy to our customers, the owner is responsible for following up with the lienholder. Typically it takes 4 weeks to receive the title from the lienholder. Once we receive the title, we will mail you a letter letting you know what will be required to process your title work. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this process, please contact our office at 850-892-8121.