Boats and Vessels FAQ

Please see below for the most frequently asked questions about boats and vessels.

  • Where Do I Apply for a Title on My Recently Purchased Vessel?

    Applications for vessel registration and title certificates (original or duplicate) are to be filed by the vessel owner(s) with the county Tax Collector's office.
  • How Many Days Do I Have to Register a New Vessel?

    The purchaser(s) of a new vessel have 30 days in which to apply for registration and title through the county Tax Collector's office. During this 30 day grace period, the owner is required to have aboard his/her vessel a bill of sale with proof of the date of purchase.
  • How Many Days Do I Have to Register a Used Vessel?

    "0" A person purchasing a used vessel has to register the vessel before it can be used on Florida waterways.
  • Are Military Exempt from Registering Their Vessels in Florida?

    Out-of-state registration certificates and numbers for vessels owned by military personnel on active duty in Florida are valid in Florida until their expiration date. Then they must be registered and titled in Florida in order to be operated on state waterways.
  • I Use a Small Trolling Motor on My 12 Ft. Vessel in the Canal Behind My House. Do I Need to Register It?

    Yes, all vessels used on public waterways with any type of motor must be titled and registered.
  • Is a Non-Powered Vessel Required to Be Registered and Titled?

    If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it's not required to be registered or titled.
  • If the Seller of a Vessel Entered the Entire Selling Price of the Vessel, Trailer and Motor as the Selling Price on the Title, Does the New Owner Pay Sales Tax on the Entire Amount?

    Yes, sales tax must be paid on the amount entered on the title, unless an itemized bill of sale listing the price of each component of the rig is submitted with the application. In such a case, the owner would only be required to pay sales tax on the vessel and trailer.
  • I Will Be Vacationing in Florida This Summer. I Plan to Bring My Boat with Me, Do I Need to Register My Boat in Florida?

    Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers issued to visiting boaters for a period of 90 days. An owner who intends to use his/her vessel in Florida longer than 90 days must register it with a county Tax Collector. However, he/she may retain the out-of-state registration number if he/she plans to return to his/her home state within a reasonable period of time.
  • I Have Lost My Vessel Title and I Want to Sell My Vessel. What Can I Do?

    Bring in an old registration or the hull ID# off the vessel and apply for a duplicate title. If you want to sell it at the same time have the new purchaser with you and he/she can apply for his/her title the same day.
  • I Need to Apply for an Expedited Duplicate Vessel Title. What Do I Need to Do?

    The owner of the vessel must properly complete an application for duplicate title, and submit it and a fee of $11.00 to your local Tax Collector's office. The application will be processed and the duplicate titled is printed in the office at the time of application.
  • Where Can I Find Information on Safety Equipment Requirements for Vessels?

    Your local Tax Collector's office has leaflets on safety equipment requirements and boating safety programs.