General documents required for a U.S. citizen
One of the following to prove your identity:
- Certified U.S. birth certificate
- Valid U.S. passport or passport card
- Certificate of naturalization
- Consular report of birth abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
Proof of ALL Legal Name Changes Documents (Needed if current name differs from the one on your birth certificate or Passport)
Original or certified copy of ALL marriage certificates or court orders showing your name changes. Documents must link the name on your identity document (birth certificate) to your current legal name.
One of the following documents to prove your Social Security number:
- Social Security Card (with your current name)
- Typed W-2 form
- Pay check showing number
- W-2 or 1099 Form
- Complete Self-Certification in office
Proof of residential address (must present two of these documents):
- Deed, mortgage, payment booklet, or rental agreement
- Florida vehicle registration or title
- Utility bill or hook-up/work order, not more than two months old
- Florida Voter Registration Card
- If you reside with someone, please provide 2 proofs of their residential address along with a NOTARIZED copy of the Certification of Address
To add the Veteran designation to a license or ID card, veterans please bring the following:
- DD-214, which shows their honorable discharge from active duty.
- Veterans who need to obtain a copy of their DD-214, may request it through the National Archives, which provides information on how to make the request online at www.archives.gov.
Non- U.S. Citizen: Document requirements are the same for Social Security number (if issued) and residential address. To determine acceptable identification documents, visit WhatToBring for a checklist.
If you are unable to locate your Social Security document, please contact The United States Social Security Administration
If you are unable to locate your birth certificate or marriage license, please see the link below to contact the appropriate state's vital statistic office. Where to Write for Vital Records
Renew License Online