Military Extension Instructions

Class E Florida Drivers

Florida Statute 322.121(5) in part states, “A member of the United States Armed Forces, his or her spouse, or a dependent residing with him or her, shall be granted an automatic extension for the expiration of his or her Class E license without reexamination while the member of the United States Armed Forces is serving on active duty outside this state. This extension is valid for 90 days after the member of the United States Armed Forces is either discharged or returns to this state to live.”

Military personnel and members of their immediate family residing with them (spouse, son, daughter, and stepchildren) may be granted an extension of their Class E driver license. The military extension card is free of charge and will be a photo ID that you carry with your Florida license and Military ID. Holders of CDL licenses are not eligible for a military extension.

To be eligible for the military extension, your license must be clear of any sanctions. You can check the status of your license here. Even if your license has expired, as long as there are no other sanctions, you are eligible for the extension.

To receive the military extension, you must complete the Military Personnel and Dependents Affidavit and Driver License Extension Application, certifying active duty status in the U.S. Armed Forces while stationed outside of Florida and provide a copy of the member’s current military orders.

Documents must be submitted by one of the following methods:

Email: [email protected]

Fax: (850) 617-5034

Bureau of Credentialing Services
2900 Apalachee Pkwy, MS 92
Tallahassee, FL 32399

Upon receipt of your properly executed affidavit/application and current military orders, DHSMV will update the record and your driver license expiration date will be extended. Please allow DHSMV up two weeks to receive and process your documentation.

DHSMV will then mail you a military extension card which extends your driving privilege continuously each year until:

  • 90 days after you are discharged from military service
  • you return to Florida to reside
  • you obtain a Florida driver license or ID card.

Real ID Compliance

Unless you are Real ID compliant, upon your return to Florida, you are required to present the following documents to renew your Florida license:

US Citizens: Bring your certified birth certificate or valid US passport, or naturalization papers; if applicable, a marriage certificate or court order verifying all name changes; proof of social security number; and two documents showing your residential address

Non-US Citizens: Bring your valid Department of Homeland Security documents; proof of social security number; and two documents showing your residential address.

A full list of acceptable documents is available here.