Hunting and Fishing license

The tax collector serves as an agent of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission by being the primary source for the sale and issuance of a variety of hunting and fishing licenses. Various outlets, such as “bait and tackle” dealers and sporting goods stores, are authorized to sell and issue these licenses as well.

A hunter and/or angler must have in his/her possession a valid license when participating in these activities. The only exceptions to the law are:

  • Residents 65 years of age and over are entitled to a complimentary Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate
  • Children under the age of 16 are not required to have a license, however they must carry proof of age identification.
  • Permanently and totally disabled residents can obtain a special exemption card. An authorized disability statement must be presented upon application. This permit is free.
  • Residents who have been accepted by The Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services as a client for retardation and development services are exempt from the license requirements.
  • A Florida resident who is a member of the U.S. armed forces and is not stationed in Florida is exempt from the license requirements while home on leave for 30 days or less. Proof of orders must be on the person while hunting or fishing.
  • To see a full list of exemptions, please click here


Florida Residents

A Florida resident, for hunting and fishing purposes, is any person who has declared Florida as their only state of residence as evidenced by a valid Florida driver license or identification card with both a Florida address and a Florida residency verified by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Also any member of the United States Armed Forces who is stationed in Florida (includes spouse and dependent children residing in household).

Acceptable Proof of Residency:

  • Florida Driver License or ID Card
  • Military orders showing your duty station as Florida
  • Florida Homestead Exemption
  • Declaration of domicile


Non-Florida Residents

Non-residents who are 16 years of age or older are required to have Florida licenses and permits to participate in hunting, freshwater fishing and saltwater fishing.  

  • Out-of-state fishing and hunting licenses are not valid in Florida. 
  • A fishing license is required to attempt to take fish.  If you cast a line or catch and release, you need a license. 
  • A saltwater fishing license is required to attempt to take any native or nonnative marine organisms, such as crabs, lobsters, and marine plants.


Resident Persons with Disabilities

The Resident Persons with Disabilities Hunting and Fishing License is a no-cost license that is an economic benefit for the segment of Florida's disable community that may not be able to afford the license privileges that are offered in the license. 

Qualifying Documentation

Social Security Benefit Verification letter dated in the last 12 months and indicating disability benefits are currently being received. The annual SSA benefit letter is acceptable, though the 1099 form is not accepted. Applicants can obtain their benefit verification letters by printing them from the SSA Portal at - OR -

Applicants who are certified or determined to be totally and permanently disabled will provide documentation from one of the following entities:

  • By the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor, OR
  • By any branch of the United States Armed Forces, OR
  • By holding a valid, service-connected permanent and total disability identification card issued under the provisions of s. 295.17, OR
  • For purposes of Florida workers' compensation under chapter 440 F.S., as verified by an order of a judge of compensation claims, OR
  • For purposes of Florida workers' compensation under chapter 440 F.S., as verified by written confirmation by the insurance carrier providing workers' compensation benefits, OR
  • By the Railroad Retirement Board.


Military Gold Sportsman License

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) offers the Military Gold Sportsman's License to active duty and retired members of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Armed Forces Reserve, the Florida National Guard, the United States Coast Guard or the United States Coast Guard Reserve that are stationed in Florida or claim Florida as their primary residence for $20. Eligible military members will need to provide proof of residency and a current military identification card. For more information, please click here.


Buy License Online