You may be eligible to renew online provided your last renewal was in an office and you are Real ID compliant.

Extension: When stationed outside of Florida, you can receive a military extension card that will keep your driver license valid until 90 days after your discharge from military service. Please keep the card with your license and present it with your military ID. The card is free of charge and available to all active duty members of the armed forces and their dependents (spouses, children, and step-children under 21 living in the same household).

The military extension card extends your driving privilege continuously each year until:

  • 90 days after you are discharged from military service
  • you return to Florida to reside
  • or you obtain a Florida driver license or ID card.

To receive the military extension, you must complete the military affidavit/application certifying active duty status in the U.S. Armed Forces while stationed outside of Florida and provide a copy of the member’s current military orders. The military extension is processed by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in Tallahassee (850-617-2000).

Military extension cards may not be accepted in some countries when serving overseas.

Veterans may request a “Veteran” designation be added to the front of their driver license or ID card, provided they have proof of their honorable discharge (i.e. DD-214). There is no fee to add the “Veteran” designation to your license.

Military disability discounts are available if you have a service-connected, 100% disability. To be considered a 100% disabled veteran, you must have been honorably discharged from the armed forces and have a 100% total and permanent service-connected disability rating for compensation or a service-connected total and permanent disability rating of 100%. With proof of a letter or card from the Veteran’s Administration, most driver license fees are waived.

Motorcycle Endorsement: To obtain a motorcycle endorsement while stationed out of state, you must provide proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course within the last year. These transactions are processed by DHSMV in the following manner.

  • The military member will send their military orders and proof of motorcycle safety course completion certificate to DHSMV.
  • DHSMV will update the record to show the course completion, print a one-year temporary operating permit, and mail to the customer. The permit will include the motorcycle endorsement and must be carried along with their Florida driver license while riding.
  • Once they return to Florida, they can go to any tax collector office, present their motorcycle safety course completion certificate, and pay for a replacement license with the motorcycle endorsement.
  • Military members unable to return to Florida within the year will need to re-submit their documents to DHSMV for a replacement permit.
  • DHSMV mailing address is:

Bureau of Records
P.O. Box 5775
Tallahassee, Florida 32314-5775

Non-resident military stationed in Florida and their dependents are permitted to retain their out-of-state driver license unless:

  • The service member or spouse claims homestead exemption – all drivers in the family must obtain a Florida driver license
  • Service member becomes employed – all drivers in the family must obtain a Florida driver license
  • Spouse becomes employed – spouse and children who drive must obtain a Florida driver license
  • Child becomes employed – the child who drives must obtain a Florida driver license

Forms and Information

Here are various forms and additional information you may find helpful.