Property Taxes FAQ

Please see below for the most frequently asked questions about property taxes.

  • My Property Tax Bill Is Too High; Why Is the Tax Collector Charging Me so Much?

    The Tax Collector has no involvement in determining the amount of the bill. She serves only as the collection agent. The Walton County Property Appraiser assesses the value of the property and the millage rate is determined by the various taxing authorities.
  • What Payment Methods Are Accepted for Delinquent Property Taxes?

    Delinquent taxes must be paid in the form of cash, cashier’s check, money order, debit card, certified funds or credit card.
  • What Is Your Mailing Address? What Is Your Overnight/Physical Address?

    Walton County Tax Collector
    PO Box 510
    DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435

    For Overnight Mail:
    Walton County Tax Collector
    571 US Hwy 90E
    DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433

  • What Are "County Held" Tax Certificates?

    If there are no bidders for the delinquent taxes, each applicable tax certificate is issued in the name of Walton County. In addition, (1) a tax certificate representing less than $100 in delinquent taxes on property that has been granted homestead exemption can only be sold to Walton County at the maximum rate of interest allowed by law (18%), and (2) when the delinquent taxes are on subsurface rights, the fee owner to which these subsurface rights are attached has the right to purchase the tax certificate at the maximum rate of interest provided by law (18%) before bids are accepted for the sale of such certificates.
  • I No Longer Own the Property, but I Received a Property Tax Bill for It; What Should I Do?

    Notify the Walton County Property Appraiser in writing, providing the new owner’s name and address, if possible. A Property Appraiser’s Name/Address Change Form can be printed from the Property Appraiser’s website. The Tax Collector is not permitted to make ownership or address changes or any other changes to the tax roll unless instructed by the Property Appraiser to do so through a Certificate of Correction.

  • I Can’t Pay My Property Taxes; Can I Sign up Now for the Installment Plan?

    No; to participate in the Installment Plan for the 2012 tax year, you had to apply by April 30, 2012. At this time, you can sign up to pay your 2013 taxes by installment by filing an application by April 30, 2013.

  • How Do I Apply for Homestead Exemption on My Property Taxes?

    To apply for this exemption, you must contact the Walton County Property Appraiser’s Office at (850)892-8123 or visit their website at