If you have a Commercial Driver’s License/Permit or are thinking about getting your CDL, here are some changes you need to be aware of.
This past Monday, February 7th, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Entry-level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations took effect.
These regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level commercial drivers.
Skills Testing Prerequisite
Applicants with a Commercial Learner Permit issued on or after February 7, 2022, must complete a mandatory theory (knowledge) and behind-the-wheel (BTW) training program before taking the CDL skills testing. This includes:
- Obtaining a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
- Upgrading an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
- Obtaining a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.
Who is exempt from the ELDT?
· Applicants with a Commercial Learner Permit issued before February 7, 2022, and who obtain a CDL before the CLP expires are not subject to the ELDT requirements.
· Individuals who were issued a CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement before February 7, 2022, are not required to complete training unless upgrading or adding the endorsement listed above.
Hazardous Materials Prerequisite
The ELDT requirement applies to individuals applying for a Hazardous Materials endorsement for the first time. Applicants must complete ELDT training before taking the knowledge test for the H endorsement.
https://tpr.fmcsa.dot.gov/........ Locate a Training Provider
https://tpr.fmcsa.dot.gov/Check Check Your Record